One of the terms you may have encountered in the shaving world is an alum block or alum stick. What is an alum block or alum stick? What are the benefits of using it, how do you use it, what are its other uses aside from shaving, and where you can get it?
What Is An Alum Block or Alum Stick?
From the name “alum”, an alum block or stick is a mineral block that is made of potassium alum. It has been used as a post shaving treatment for ages. Many people use this and for good reasons. There are many benefits to using an alum block or stick after shaving.
Potassium alum, the main component of alum block or stick, has both antiseptic and astringent properties. This is the reason why alum block or stick is a good post shaving treatment. The antiseptic property protects the skin from microorganisms that may cause diseases. The astringent property protects the skin from inflammation and bleeding.
Benefits of Alum Block or Alum Stick
The following are the benefits of using an alum block or alum stick after shaving:
- It soothes the skin after shaving.
- It helps prevent irritation on the skin after shaving.
- It helps prevent the formation of bacteria on the skin or help reduce its spread in case of bacterial formation.
- It helps reduce bleeding in case the skin has minor nicks or cuts from shaving.
- It helps prevent razor burn or having ingrown hairs due to shaving.
- It helps tighten the pores.
How To Use Alum Block Or Alum Stick
It is actually very simple to use an alum block or stick. As it is an after shave treatment, you have to complete the shave first before using this product. Rinse the shaved area preferably with cold water. You have to make sure that if you have used soap or shaving cream, all of the residues have been washed off already. The skin should be completely free from any other shaving chemicals.
Next is to wet the alum block or stick with water, advisable to use cold water. The alum block or stick works if it is wet. Some prefer soaking the alum block or stick first in cold water before they use it. It’s your choice whether to soak it or not.
Next is to apply the alum block or stick on the skin. Make sure you don’t rub it on the skin. It should just be applied gently. Expect some reaction on the skin. Depending on the condition of the skin, it may cause a tingling sensation or if there are cuts or razor burn, there may be a slight stinging or burning sensation. This sensation is due to the antiseptic and astringent property of alum at work.
You have to leave the alum on the skin for about 15-20 seconds. After this, you need to wash it off with cold water. Make sure that you wash off all residue of the alum. Then lastly, you can apply an after shave cream or any moisturizing cream.
Alum block or stick is very safe to use and it’s very rare that it can cause any skin or health issues. However, if an excessive skin irritation occurs after using alum block or stick, you should always seek the advice of a doctor. Safety always comes first even in grooming, right?
After use, make sure that you store your alum block or stick properly. It should be dried completely before storing. You can either wipe it with a dry cloth or leave it out for a while to totally dry.
Other Uses of Alum Block or Alum Stick
Did you know that there are other uses for alum block or stick aside from shaving? Here are some of them:
- It can be used after waxing. The benefits are the same as when it is used after shaving. It prevents ingrown hairs, soothes the skin, and provides antiseptic and astringent effect.
- It helps prevent body odor. The alum block or stick can be used as a deodorant and antiperspirant. It is a natural alternative to over the counter deodorants. Just like other deodorants, it kills odor producing bacteria and thus, keeps the armpits smelling fresh.
- It helps treat acne breakouts. Alum helps kill bacteria that may cause acne breakouts. Also, it has astringent property that tighten pores. Tighter pores prevent acne breakouts.
Where To Get Alum Block or Alum Stick?
At BarberCo, we have a wide variety of alum block or alum stick available.
- Parker All Natural Alum Block
This alum block from Parker is made from the purest natural potassium alum. It is a high quality after shave treatment that has natural antiseptic property perfect for treating minor cuts or nicks from shaving. The Parker all natural alum block is 125 grams and if used and stored properly, it can last a long time. It also comes packaged in a plastic travel case.
Try the Parker All Natural Alum Block today!
- Proraso Alum Mareb Pratico Stick
When you need something more than soap and water to clean shaved area, the alum stick from Proraso is a lifesaver. It is recommended for use in minor cuts, abrasions, and nicks caused by shaving. It has antibacterial property which makes it perfect for after shave treatment. Made in Italy, this alum stick is a must have in every shaving routine.
Try the Proraso Alum Mareb Pratico Stick today!
- Proraso Allum Shave Stone Salt Block
An upgrade from other over the counter after shave treatments, the Proraso Allum Shave Stone Salt Block is a must after shaving. It provides immediate astringent effect which helps in preventing uneven skin pigmentation, razor bumps, and even ingrown hairs. Furthermore, it prevents and reduces skin irritation after shaving, helps tighten pores, helps stop bleeding from nicks and cuts due to shaving, and it can even be used as a natural deodorant.